Saturday, August 25, 2007

@ Newport

I was actually kind of looking forward to this field trip since Newport's located in Rhode Island, (the tiniest state among US, I suppose?) which happened to have left a strong impression on me from Holly Wood movies like "Me Myself & Irene" and "Ms Congeniality"-- two of my fave comedy films.

What I saw in Newport was, however, neither hilarious nor comic. What Newport had to offer (I mean those I've grabbed a chance to savor within the limited time we spent there) was basically Vandeville's House and Gift Shops. (Just imagine we missed the sunset! What a pity!) Still. it's a place people find it especially easy to relax and somehow every step I made felt even more light-hearted than usual.


The Vandeville's House. (Not sure about the spelling, tho.) At first I thought it's a city municipal or something, yet it turned out to be a mansion-- a very British one.

Inside the house, the layout was simply luxurious-- in a very European way. Statues, tapestries, the decorated vault, and I literally exclaimed when I saw the pillars and beams with really delicate carvings of Greek and Roman Gods (I remember seeing Eros)-- Gosh these people were wasps. Most definitely they were. It's a pity, tho, that no photo-taking was allowed.


That was the only spot we were allowed to take pictures-- from a balcony. What a view!


The Vandeville's mansion. The garden was lovely!


After the Vandeville's tour, we took a walk around the Newport. Don't you love this scene!



The gift shops lined up in Newport. Love the red trail a lot. :D

There's one shop especially appealed to me: the layout was simply amazing. Cute but modern, with a certain degree of sarcasm, or I should put "witty." I took quite a few shots because I believed that Flora's gonna love it.



Here's one rather funny gift card. Wry humor.


And here's another romantic one. When I saw this one I was like, "ohhhhh..."


A lovely set of china. It was rather mirk in the second floor, tho.


An overlooking view from the 2nd floor.



A closer look at the china.


What a posture! :P


This rooster reminded me of an animation film-- "Nick Park."



My fave corner in the shop.



On the way back to Tufts.

No comments: