Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Happy 4th! Harvard Square & Riverside Fireworks

Since it was 4th of July, we had a day off. During the day I went to Harvard Square, which is the place I fancy the most all over Boston. Have been Harvard-fanatic ever since my elementary school years. Anyway, I went with Vicki, and since we had only been to Tufts for no more than three days, we didn't really know how to walk from Tufts to the Davis Square so that we could take the T. A generous guy helped us: while we were asking for directions, he actually offered us a ride, which saved us from another ten minutes' walk.



So we arrived Harvard Square. There were quite a few buskers performing there-- a very American stuff for me. If I simply add up the buskers I saw in Boston, it would definitely outnumber all the other buskers I had seen throughout my life. And all of them happened to be quite talented: really nice songs they had presented.


A closer look at Harvard Square: this place was, for sure, very flourished. All the passersby, striding, meandering, sometimes even sauntering by; the street seemed to be always occupied by people. Somehow I enjoyed strolling with such a parade, and I even happened to be ill at ease, regarding crowdedness. Guess it's bcuz by doing so, I felt like a Harvard student as well as a Bostonian. :p


After some shopping, Vicki and I went to 燕京 for lunch. We were helplessly craving for Chinese food: the American foods provided by Dining Hall were solely driving us crazy. That was also my very first experience eating outside the Dining Hall, and I was absolutely shocked by the portion given: despite that I shared with Vicki, we couldn't really finish that single plate. Tasted good, tho, and surely economical. :)


Later that day, we went to Kendal to watch the fireworks. It was like absolutely cold when I walked out of the T: it drizzled, and the wind was simply piercing through my coat. The rigid coldness sort of disabled me from staying along the river side, and I therefore took shelter at MIT.



And inside MIT, it looked... lifeless. For sure it looked like something state-of-the-art, yet I just prefer something maybe more humane.

So this is where the brightest of the brains worldwide holding a seminar. I was only inches away from the chamber door but it simply felt inapproachable.

Darkness curtained the sky and it was getting even colder outside. The fireworks started late, tho, for the sun there set at, like, eight o'clock.

Overall, the fireworks were gorgeous. Pity that the coldness was handicapping me and I didn't make it to take any pictures. Standing, soaked in the rain and the freezing air, I felt like the fireworks was gonna last forever. And thus I said to myself: jeez, that was a really affluent country.

No comments: