Sunday, August 12, 2007

It is

Ironic enough that I actually set up this blog for recording my life in Boston yet I never really worked on it until I left that lovely city. Anyway, right now I'm in HKIA, waiting for the connecting flight. have waited a little while for the access to the cyber service and I believe there must be someone waiting in line behind me-- gotta take my time, tho.

It'd been amazing six weeks. I fell in love with Boston about five years ago, during which was a really short stay (around two days,) and I simply fell in love with Boston all over again. It's rather significant cuz five years ago, my experience was highly condensed (of all the GOOD, ESSENTIAL stuff: Harvard, MIT, lobster feast)-- it would be rather unlikely that I had not fallen in love with such a city that had all those to offer. Five years later, there I was, at Tufts (must admit that compared with Harvard Square and other T sites, Davis is a relatively smaller, less flourished one,) still, I had been deeply enchanted to this city.

I love the pace there, in which for the very first time, I learned to slow down. Living in Northern Taiwan for almost twenty years, I had been so accustomed to the rush, hustle and bustle life style. I always got impatient even when I was doing window shopping, for the passersby walking in front of me simply blocked my way. There at Boston, however, I acquired a relaxed, leisure life pace. Instead of striding, I meandered. I watched the city scenery all my way to wherever I was headed for even tho I had passed it like a hundred times. It was the slow pace that actually made me feel like a Bostonian, and I'd been proud of such a pace, however often I got scolded from it and whatever conflicts it had brought about, I feel proud all the same.

I love the ppl there, and of course since I was there for a conference, the components of the ppl I know there must be more diversified than it actually is and that's why I have to make clear that here I'm only referring to the real Bostonians-- RCs, and whoever I encountered in the street. Almost all the Bostonians are friendly, and much contrasted to their life space, they speak a lot faster than all the other native speakers I had met in my entire life. what I love most about the Bostonians is their driving custom-- it was probably the period of time that I jaywalked most often so far in my whole life, for regardless of the traffic signals, the Boston drivers simply stop, yielding to the pedestrians.

I love the ppl I met in the conference there, tho to my disappointment, most of them are Taiwanese just like me (since I was there to learn English,) all the ppl I met there have been amazing. It was esp fabulous that I actually got to know ppl from different cultures, and most often I was struck that I had known far less than I supposed about their respective cultures. I cherish all the moments I spent with them, Japanese, Spanish, Koreans, and last but not least, French; it's been an honor as well as a pleasure to actually know them. Ppl, I dare say, is the most valuable thing I obtain in this six-weeks' stay in Boston.

Since it's passed nine o'clock, I better wrap this up. oh btw, what's good about HK is that the airport actually provided free cyber service: wireless and wire alike. I tried to connect to the wireless in LA but it turned out that I have to be a member of T-Mobile or Cingular or something. *sigh*

No comments: