Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Shakespeare Festival



As a major of foreign language and literature, how could I possilbly miss such an event? I mean it's Shakespeare! And the play happened to be A Mid-Summer Night's Dream, which I had read closely through the script only a couple of months before. Anyway, that day I cut short my shopping at Galleria and simply rushed back to Davis so that I could join the RCs and actually participate in the Shakespeare Festival.



It was amazingly crowded in the park and I never knew that people nowadays are still that attached to Shakespeare-- guess it's because I was in New England, haha. :p Anyway I was like super excited for I had never seen a Shakespearean play on stage; all the Shakespearean plays I saw before were pretty much the film adoptions, including the more genuine ones like A Mid-Summer Night's Dream or some more "meta" ones like Romeo and Juliet (with Leonardo not Davinci) or even She's The Man (adopted from The Twelfth Night, aka Wit You Well.)



Alright, I'll cut to the chase in case I bore the readers (if any.) The play started at eight and for almost an hour I was literally squirming at my seat-- which, realistically speaking, was mere a few sheets of newspaper on the grass-- while everyone else had grabbed a chair or at least some towels. I didn't have my supper for I was in a rush (traveling from Kendal to Davis and then Park Street) and there were a hell lot of people there were holding picnics while they were waiting. The play, though, kept me excited and contributed quite a bit, as far as I believed, to my adrenaline.




The cast was a significant combination. While Demetrius and Lysander were both husky, handsome (I bet, though I was watching them from a distance) Afro-Americans, Helena and Hermia were WASP like ladies. I didn't know about the director's intention but I suppose it was indicating some concept like racial diversity so that the play itself could be politically correct?



A hilarious interpretation of the Pyramus and Thisbe crew. Besides the actors' American accent, it was another thing that reminded me of where I was-- America!




Sorry for the blurry picture but this shot was actually of Oberon and Titania-- the fairy king and fairy queen! I love the flashy balloons that depicted of the nice fancy stuff representing the fairy world-- even the fight between the fairy king and fairy queen sounded less frightening.



See the balddy on the right-hand corner? It was Puck! That very Puck who transformed Bottom into an ass-head. "Thou art translated!" That was way Ovid and I found it really amusing.


This was one of my most memorable excursions during my stay in Boston. Over all, I felt even more proud to be a major of foreign language and literature-- thanks to the courses I took that I got to study Shakespeare, I was able to wholly understand the play while the lines up to 90 percent, and the Shakespearean language was even infamously delicate.

No comments: