Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Museum of Fine Art

(I didn't really follow the chronological order since this visit actually took place after Shakespeare in Park but whatsoever.)

Now I really regret it that I didn't bring my camera that day! Still, I collected some pictures from Lin-chen's album, hopefully working as some compensation.


It was a great pity that she didn't take the picture of the Greek cups/jars. They were the most exciting objects on display-- at least for me. They were exactly the Greek cups/jars in Theocritus' time! Casting a look on them, I could almost visualize Thrysis and the goatherd, while the latter provided an exquisite cup and a fertile she-goat only to hear Thrysis' singing. I saw them in pictures-- black and white, since they were photocopied; and that I was actually standing right in front of them! Isn't that exciting? I could just die then.


There we were in the Egyptian district. The exhibition of Egyptian objects, honestly, did not really excite me. I had been to Egypt and I went into dozens of temples and tombs and Museums-- I even paid a visit to the Giza pyramids. Still, there were realistic simulations of the Egyptian tombs-- they were just as close and suffocating as those in Egypt. I felt like a claustrophobic and I couldn't stay long.


Now some nostalgic stuff-- Greek (and also Roman) gods!




Aprhodite (in Greek times) or Venus (in Roman times.)


Cupid (in Greek times) or Eros (in Roman times.)
I also remember seeing Dionysus and Pan (or Priapus judging from the size of his winkie-- gosh I'm vulgar! It's the most distinguishable part of him, though.) but no pictures, my apology.

No comments: